Celebrating Failure

This biggest time I have failed this semester is when I accidentally missed a reading assignment for one of my other classes. The reading assignments open weekly on canvas and are due on the day of the first class. Most of the assignments for the semester are stored on my calendar in Outlook so that I can easily maintain a schedule even when times get really busy. I did not put the reading assignments on my calendar because I thought I could remember them weekly. A couple of weeks ago I got really busy with other stuff and forgot to do the assignment.

This failure was hard to deal with. The assignment was really easy and would only have taken me about 15 minutes to do. From this failure, I learned that I really need to put all my assignments and events on my calendar. I shouldn’t rely on purely remembering things because times get busy and easy assignments have a tendency to slip my mind. When I failed in this, I just tried to take it as a learning experience. I didn’t get mad or sad. I just moved on. This class has changed my perspective on failure a little bit. I have always been pretty conservative when it comes to risk taking but I can see now that sometimes taking a little risk is good when starting a business.

Comments

  1. You are wise about not being hard on yourself! Mistakes are meant to learn from and now you write down all your assignments so they will not be missed. This is smart, I am a big calendar person. I make sure to write down everything I need to do or else I will forget! Writing it down also ensures that I remember it correctly and not mess up any dates! It can be stressful when you miss something when it was easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,
    Failure can be the best teacher as you can learn from your mistakes. You missed an assignment and as a result started putting your assignments on a calendar. Another thing to consider is learning from the mistakes of others. Thousands of people have created countless books and autobiographies that can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William,
    I definitely think that dealing with failure can always be tricky especially when there is something that was so simple we could have done to stop from failing. You are so right when it comes to relying on just remembering things because often times we can get caught up in the moment or have way too many things on our plate. It is always a good idea to just plan things out. I am glad you were able to just move on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment