Reading Reflection No. 2

The book I choose to read was Makers: The New Industrial Revolution by Chris Anderson. The main point the author is trying to make is that we are entering a third industrial revolution which involves digital manufacturing to produce products rapidly and efficiently. This book enhanced learning in ENT 3003 by providing a perspective on where business is heading in the future. I think that as an entrepreneur, one must be constantly looking at trends to gain a competitive advantage and keep up with the future. Many of the ideas presented in the book about digital manufacturing are very prevalent to any entrepreneur because they could help those getting into a business have a leg up on the competition and produce things in their own home. I think that if I were to design an exercise for the class based off the book, it would involve going and seeing the 3D printers in action that they have in Marston Science Library. I think that seeing them in action could really put many of the ideas in the book into perspective. The biggest surprise I had in the book was when he talked about rapid prototyping. When he first introduced that concept, I was extremely skeptical. As I kept reading though, I began to realize the potential in the technology to enable a whole variety of tinkers to make things.

Comments

  1. Hello William,
    This book seems like an interesting read in general, if you are into the new technology and how that is integrated with the business. I have actually seen many of my friends who are engineers actually start creating new things with 3D printers and have even had the idea of creating a business where they help peoples dream inventions come true by helping with 3D printers.Thank you for sharing about the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment