Reading Reflection No. 1

1) One thing that really surprised me the most about Steve Jobs is his upbringing. I didn’t know that he was given up for adoption at such a young age. One thing about Steve that I admired most is his focus on even the most minute detail. Even down to the packaging, Steve tried to make Apple products into an experience. The main thing that I did not admire about him was the fact that he often put work ahead of family matters. Family is very important to me and I don’t like it when entrepreneurs put that on the back burner for their business. Steve did encounter adversity and failure especially when he was fired from Apple. But he was able to pick himself back up and get back to creating amazing products for different companies.

2) The main competency I noticed about Steve was his ability to create a reality distortion field. If he wanted an idea to happen he would make it happen. It was that desire and confidence that really turned Apple into a hugely innovative company.

3) One part of the reading that was confusing to me is how Steve was so successful as a leader when he showed such callousness to some of his employees. It seems like no one would want to try at all for someone like Steve because he was known for berating coworkers.

4) The two questions I would ask to Steve are “What do you think the next technological breakthrough will be?” and “If you were running Apple today would you still use the same leadership style, or would you change it up?”

5) I think Steve’s opinion of hard work was that it was completely necessary to achieve desired results. I share his opinion because I think success doesn’t come to those who don’t put their all into something.

Comments

  1. Hey William,

    Learning about Steve Jobs was fascinating. I also do not admire that he put his work ahead of his family. He also had a daughter that he did not admit was his for several years. That is shameful and no matter how much money your work brings you I think family is more important. I would rather have a loving family than all the money in the world. However, he is an amazing entrepreneur. He has developed numerous products and always seems to be a step ahead of the rest. It is amazing what you learn when you begin to look at entrepreneurs lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,
    Steve Jobs has always been in interesting role model for me as hes a very complex person. On one side we see a relentless work ethic that resulted in the creation of the tech company Apple and on the other we see a man with family troubles. In the end however people will always remember him as the man that created one of the largest companies in the wold. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment